Jean K Zuu

| map-marker Lyndhurst, Ohio

Poor service and parts

Updated by user May 18, 2024

Very nice but the same issue was fixed 3 times and I had to pay for it. 90 day warranty is crazy

Original review May 14, 2024
I am furious about the service and need someone to contact me ASAP. I have had more than 3 repairs to my frost-free spigot and it still does not work. I have spent close to $1000 for nothing. They keep replacing the outside spigot. This is the 3rd one in a year. What is the issue? They keep coming out but the warranty is so short, and it failed on me 2x and I had to pay again.
Loss:
Pros:
  • Attempted to repair problem
Cons:
  • I had more than 3 technicians on the same problem

Preferred solution: Price reduction

map-marker Honeoye Falls, New York

Mr. Rooter service is a big scam. They wanted to charge over $1000 for a leaky faucet. They tried to scare you charge

They said it would cost about $1000 to fix a leaky faucet. They wanted to charge almost $700 for a new faucet!! That's obscene. They said if we want to get our own faucet, it would cost about $ 900+. This make no sense. They tried to take advantage over elderly customers. They kept confused us. Disappointed & disgusting how they tried to scam & take advantages over senior customers. Do not use them!! The reviews on line are fake Don't fall for these reviews.

User's recommendation: Do Not use Mr. Rooter!!

Verified Buyer
| map-marker Conyers, Georgia

Hate that I called them

Mr Rooter - Hate that I called them

YWater pipes burst into three rooms. Reached out to my insurance and was told my deductible was $16,000.

Complete surprise. So they came and opened up the spaces and the young man Adair told us to dry out the area with fans overnight. He came and replace the pinholes. Charged me $749.64.

We called a contractor and had him put things remove the damaged parts and he put everything back in place. Then I get a bill from them talking about I owe them$6968.25 for services they did not perform and they going through my insurance when I am not. I do not have a claim with my insurance. A *** rip off.

Every time I try to call billing nobody is answering. Makes me think there is some type of scam. So they can get money and split among themselves. I live in Conyers Ga.

Im going give names. Keon Harper, Shannon Byers and someone named Celine out of the Atlanta branch. Playing on older citizens that are living on a fixed income.

They talking bout they want the money all at once. But they did not do the job

User's recommendation: You better run. Don’t even call them

Nicole W Rpe

Want a refund

Replacement toilet handle broke in 3 days. The entire unit fall apart. Want my refund. Also attempted submit an email at customercare@***r. rooter. com. But email was returned failed. Manager need respond asap.

Featured
Rick M Ovb

| map-marker Nanaimo, British Columbia

False advertising and incompetent service

Mr Rooter - False advertising and incompetent service
Explore video interviews
I contacted MrRooter of Vancouver Island to do a trenchless water line replacement. They gave me a quote of $6,000. The result? They were unable to pull more than a foot of line, but still gave me an invoice of $15,000. My wife and I were responsible for digging the 90 foot trench. As we are both seniors, it ruined our entire summer. It seems like MrRooter makes more money by being incompetent than doing the promised work.
Loss:
Cons:
  • Could not complete contract
  • Being charged for nothing

Preferred solution: Price reduction

User's recommendation: Stay away from MrRooter

Thaddeus F Hwd
map-marker Middleborough, Massachusetts

EXCESSIVE FEE CHARGED

called 10-14-2021 for sewer blockage (minor ) water draining slow . tech would be there at 10-15-2021 at approximately 3.30 pm . Tech arrived at 3.30 pm left by 5.00 pm . easy access to 4 in clean out approximately 6 feet in from foundation . opened it i supplied buckets to catch backed up water . tech used power snake and reported to me he was about 30 to 40 feet out . using a tablet to take photos . he retriever some pieces of handy wipes . ran water problem solved . closed clean out then proceeded to take inventory of heating, water heaters and there age .number o of bath rooms . all this information has no bearing on my plumbing problem. total charge for one and a half hours work a whopping $628.25 I WILL NOT USE NOR RECOMEND THIS COMPANY .

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution

User's recommendation: GET ESTIMATE FIRST

map-marker Toms River, New Jersey

Dissatisfied consumer

My experience with Mr. Rooter is NOT very favorable.

We thought we would give them a chance to prove themselves. First: My wife called and was informed there would be a $75 fee just to show up. She was then informed they wanted the payment upfront and charged to a credit card. She questioned the cost associated with the visit and the representative could not even provide a basic estimate.

Second: The service person showed up and did not believe in Covid or wearing a mask inside my house, even though he was not vaccinated. Third: His estimate to correct my issue would cost $630. Informed him we were not happy about not wearing a mask. Also informed him we thought the $630 was way too high so he adjusted it to $550, without tax.

Again, was too high from my previous experience. Informed him we only paid $350 for the same service a few years back. Said that was his best price because prices went up because of the Covid Virus. Informed him I would not accept that price and he left.

Called Roto-Rooter, their competitor, and he showed up within an hour without the service call fee.

His cost of services was $331.60 including tax for the exact same service as Mr. Rooter was going to provide. He corrected my issue immediately and was on his way.

I was not happy with the $75 fee being charged by Mr. Rooter, especially since the service person would not even wear a mask in todays environment.

I called Mr. Rooter up and was informed a manager would return my call. Well, two days passed with no call. I called a second time and was informed they would notify the manager again.

It took him 3 to 4 hours for him to return my phone call. He informed me he cannot enforce his people to get vaccinated or even wear a mask. When I complained about not even being able to get an estimate, he told me that the up-front people answering the phones do not provide one; if I wanted one I would have to ask the person to get in contact with him (manager) for an estimate. What I did not know at the time is my wife requested an estimate and was informed they could not provide one over the phone; no mention of contacting a manager.

My advice is to use Roto Rooter for your services if you do not want to be over-charged hundreds of dollars and pay the $75 fee to find out.

I would give Mr. Rooter 0 Stars.

User's recommendation: Do not use this company

map-marker Bridgewater, Massachusetts

Price Gouge.

When you first contact them, they charge you $49.95 on a credit card for a service call. They arrive at your house and quote a price of $400.00 for a simple clogged kitchen sink. You decline and they're on their way keeping your $49.95. It's nothing more than a planned scam. Most people realize that the job is way overpriced, but Mr. Rooter is satisfied keeping your $49.95 for a service call and they're off to their next victim. Stay away satisfied

User's recommendation: Use this company at your own risk.

Guest

Yeah they have the biggest 2 losers working for them and they are scammers. They got me too I hope they get busted soon. They need to be sued

Karen N
map-marker Tucson, Arizona

To keep others from trying to get help from Mr Rooter!

Had Mr Rooted try to clear my kitchen line, when they claimed I had dirt in the line, and they said it meant the pipes were broken and needed to be replaced. I asked what that would cost, and was told it would be close to $10,000! Later, called a plumber recommended by a friend. He was able to completely clear the line and charged me way less then just Mr Roger's first visit! They are complete rip off and warn seniors!N them!NN especially, to never call them!

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution

User's recommendation: Never call this company for service!

map-marker Bellwood, Illinois

Company speaks nicely to you on the phone to get your business. Then lady that handles problems over talk you.

Overcharge you for water jetting the pipes. They charged me 6700 dollars and then told me it would be 1200 more for water jetting and then used my water to over jet. I looked at the reviews, and they were horrible, so I asked them about their reviews, giving them a chance. They said that's not them all Mr. rooters were not the same. I had a problem with pricing, They would not let me talk to a district manager and when I called the village inspection on them, that's when they charge me for water jetting. I'm in healthcare, and is this how you treat people and take advantage of people. The world is already going through a transition, people dying.

User's recommendation: Be careful with using Mr. Rooter they over price and make sure you have a state inspector there.

Nelson M Pfl

| map-marker Roswell, Georgia

Work Unreliable

They installed a garbage disposal unit improperly. The dishwasher flooded as a result of their work. Mr. Rooter took no responsibility for their work.

Preferred solution: Full refund

User's recommendation: Be careful of their work. They are not reliable.

Resolved
Virginia B Ksm

Resolved: Overcharged and Get Runaround on Promised Credit

Updated by user Mar 23, 2020

Big thanks to Pissed Customer site! They were planning a video interview to highlight my complaint.

However, I do have an update as of March 23, 2020: In the last few days the merchant FINALLY posted a credit to my account in the correct amount. This was after my bad review on the PISSED CUSTOMER site and after over a month of trying to resolve. After repeated attempts to resolve including escalation to merchant management and after filing a dispute with the credit card company, the merchant finally made this right . It took a lot of persistence and aggravation for me and my husband before this was corrected.

Merchant is either very incompetent or fraudulent. Ginny B

Original review Mar 13, 2020
We have used Mr Rooter for a number of years. Most recently within a few weeks they did two major and expensive jobs for us. On the second job the estimate was over $5000. They gave the estimate on Thursday and scheduled the work for the following Monday. They also took my credit card info prior to the work. On the day of the job there were some discussions on the scope of what they would do and because of some scope changes, the cost dropped by about $500 (not exact). The technician updated our invoice and said he would let the home office know of the change. To my surprise, when I got the credit card bill, the higher amount was charged with no credit. I called Mr Rooter office over three times over as many weeks and was always told that the accounting department would call back -- they never did. My husband called last week and escalated this issue to management and we scanned and sent the corrected bill. We were promised a refund. Now a week later still no refund I am really tired of being ripped off and getting the runaround. I plan to contest the charges with my credit card company since Mr Rooter still has not made good on the promised credit.
Loss:

Preferred solution: We want the credit quoted by Scott and the promised credit put on our credit card that was over charged

User's recommendation: We will never use these folks again

Melva W Kln

Complaint Poor Quality Work, Overcharge and Failed Refund Promise

Three service calls within a 6 month period (June-December 2019), resulting in the replacement of some cast iron pipes with PVC. Charges to credit cards of $900, $700, and $800 (plus service costs and taxes that totaled over $2,400).

Sections of the replaced pipe leaked immediately when installed, and a major leak erupted on 12/31. The company responded quickly and technician who was there at the time shut the water off in the house and called Tidal Wave, a cooperating water remediation group.

Our insurance company was notified and the agent recommended that we review the warranty for the Mr. Rooter Service. We determined that the pipe installations are covered for one year and drain cleaning for 30 days.

At minimum, we requested the return of the $800 amount charged on 12/31 when the pipe sealing material did not hold and the pipe leaked immediately. The company agreed to do that but to date (March 25, 2020) have not refunded the $800 to my husband's credit card and we have not received the promised email confirmation.

Loss:
Pros:
  • Were punctual
Cons:
  • Poor quality of work and cost

Preferred solution: Full refund

User's recommendation: Do not hand over credit cards info to this company. They are, I think, a franchise of a parent company. I will attempt to connect with the parent company. The Franchise is Mr. Rooter Plumbing, PO Box 2049, Roswell, GA 30077, (telephone) 770-640-****

omid Lip

They don't even deserve one star most ridiculous and rip off company I ever deal with

they don't even deserve one star most ridiculous and rip off company I ever deal with ,I called in and asked for someone with camera can look in 2" pipe .and cindy (receptionist) told me she will send technician for free estimate .I told her we did sneak and its not working I need price for someone with camera to see whats going on,she said np we will send a technician for free estimate.next day technician showup and keep telling me he wants to do sneak to see whats going on and I told him its not going to work we need camera . he convince me he will get it open he knows whats his doing other companies did it wrong. after 10 min from roof he telling me he can only go in 10ft and then he tells me his camera its not going to fit the pipe lol (why did he come then )total waste of time and money yes money he charge me $160 for showing up and trying to do sneak when I told him 100 times its not going to work...stay way from mr rooter we will report them for business bureau and there facebook and online all over …..and then his telling me it will cost $3200 for running new 12' to outside wall.I got few other companies told me $400-750 max ...
Cons:
  • Terrible customer service
  • Quality of work
  • Being charged for nothing
Reason of review:
Poor customer service

Resolved
Nancy C Zca
map-marker Williamsburg, Virginia

Resolved: $700 in labor and still no hot water

Mr Rooter - $700 in labor and still no hot water
Updated by user Sep 03, 2018

The owner of Mr. Rooter has contacted us and we've been able to reach a mutually agreeable resolution.

We appreciate their efforts in contacting us to address the problem and would recommend their services moving forward. Thank you!

Original review Aug 21, 2018
We had no hot water on Monday, we contacted Mr. Rooter and they sent a Tech out who diagnosed the issue and charged us $100.50. The Tech said it was the elements. Our Tank had been replaced 5.5 years prior and was still under warranty. Two days later, the same Tech replaced the elements and charged us $384.21. Two hours later we still didn’t have hot water. We called them and he came out a day later. While there, he tried testing the power to the tank but did not switch the breaker off which made it arc, causing a huge cloud of black smoke and melted the metal water line on the tank. He said that it was his fault and he would replace the metal line he burned and that the tank needed to be replaced. We went into our garage the next day to find the metal line he burned had leaked all over the floor. The tank came in the next day and they charged us an additional $214.77 (no charge for the tank since it was still under warranty). After a week of cold showers for our 6 year old daughter, we were desperate to have hot water (to be honest we just didn't know what else to do so we agreed to the cost) and told them to go ahead and install it. Two hours after the Tech had installed the tank and left, we still didn’t have hot water. We called them back (exasperated and asking for a refund) and they then told us it was probably an electrical issue, so we needed to call an Electrician. The Electrician came out and said that the breaker was not giving any power and that this could have been caused by the Tech arcing the wires on the tank before it was replaced. He replaced the breaker. Now we have an Electricians bill on top of the $700 we paid them. We have asked for a refund because not only did their employee misdiagnose it but, he also likely caused our issue.
Loss:
Cons:
  • Being charged for nothing
Reason of review:
Bad diagnostic lead to costly repair

RUINED OUR LIVES

WE BOUGHT MR. ROOTER FRANCHISE AFTER BEING IN THE SEWER AND DRAIN BUSINESS FOR OVER 50 YEARS.We were looking to expand to build more for our children,we took extra loans against our home at their suggestions, felt we couldn't loss we know the business. EVERYTHING THEY SAID WAS A LIE. We now as senior citizens are close to losing our home, we lost our 780 credit score thanks to them , all of our insurance dividends went to them, including an inheritance from our mother. If they ever approach you run as fast and as far as you can, everything out of their mouth is a lie. They only want to UPSELL, UPSELL, UPSELL. We spent hundreds of thousands of dollars trying to work their way and it cost us 50 years of hard work,, we never ever filed bankruptcy until we bought Mr. Rooter. Don;t ever call them for anything.

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content
  • PissedConsumer is on the Inc. 5000 list

For more information read Blog article